With all the available packaged organic foods, sometimes it’s tempting to leave out fresh fruits and vegetables. I know I am guilty of this. I feel good that I’m eating organic foods, but forget to make the fruits and veggies the focus of my meal. With so many fruits and veggies in season now and grilling season starting, it’s the perfect time to add them in.
Here are some ways to grill with fruits & veggies:
- Add fresh avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, onions and cucumber to the grilled burgers.
- Make veggie kabobs with tomatoes, mushrooms, green, red or yellow peppers and onions or add these veggies to chicken or beef kabobs
- Asparagus, zucchini and yellow summer squash all taste great grilled. Brush with a marinade of soy sauce, olive oil and garlic sea salt and pepper.
- Wrap non-gmo corn on the cob in foil and grill for 20 minutes.
- Grill tomato slices and top with basil and veggie mozzarella cheese. Grill until the cheese is melted.
- Swap out the meat for a portabella mushroom burger or homemade tofu burger.
- Grill a pizza with whole wheat dough, veggie shredded cheese, and top with tomatoes, basil, onions and mushrooms.
- Grill a fruit pizza with whole wheat dough, whipped coconut as the sauce, topped with chopped raspberries, strawberries, pineapple, kiwi and mango.
- Grill rainbow fruit kabobs. Stack a strawberry, an orange slice, pineapple, kiwi, a blueberry and a red grape on a kabob stick and grill.
- Grill sliced apples, bananas, grapes and kiwi then combine with 100% fruit juice for a fruit salad.
What are your ideas for adding in fruits & veggies during grilling season?
(Photo taken with permission from stock.xchng.)