Some good friends of ours gave us two huge bags of apples they had picked at their grandmother’s house so we spent a good portion of the weekend peeling apples and making applesauce. I had been wanting to try a strawberry-applesauce recipe. I experimented and came up with this recipe.
I love this recipe as there is no sugar but it is still a sweet tasting applesauce. In fact, I like the taste better than sugar-sweetened applesauce. I use stevia in this recipe as the sweetener. Stevia works well when used with fruits as it compliments the natural sweetness in fruits.
This recipe is made in a crockpot, so even if you are new to making applesauce, I think you’ll find this very easy. If you have a smaller crockpot, you may want to cut the recipe in half. The strawberries can easily be left out without affecting the recipe, just reduce the water a bit. I recommend trying it with the strawberries, although I love the recipe either way.
- 24 apples
- 1 bag frozen strawberries, 10 oz.
- 2 TB lemon juice
- 2 tsp. powdered stevia
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- Peel and slice apples.
- Add all ingredients to crockpot and stir until everything is well blended.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- Mix in a food processor or blender (leave out a little liquid for thicker applesauce, add more water for thinner applesauce).
- Refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours.
Keeps well for 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 12 months in the freezer.